Appaloosas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appaloosas

A forum for App lovers to discuss our favorite breed - the breed of choice!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How do you keep your Stallions?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Clippity Clop

How do you keep your Stallions? Empty
PostSubject: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I may be entering into a trade with someone and I was curious as to how they keep their stallions. They own at least 3. They keep them all in a large pasture together (I think at least 58 acres) and have the mares at other properties. When it's time to breed the stallions are transported to the mares. At first, I liked the sound of this arrangement but I wonder, wouldn't the stallions be aggressive towards each other? If not, it sounds like a fairly ideal set-up for the stud. Much better than a small, dark stall I think. Any opinions?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Well now, that depends entirely on the studs. If your studs are all good natured they generally won't fight unless there's a mare around to compete over. Some studs are just naturally cantankerous and don't get along with anything they can't breed.
Back to top Go down
https://appaloosas.forumotion.com
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks for the info.
I would imagine they get along well enough or she would have to make other arrangements.
Still, I did not think it was a normal way of keeping multiple studs but I don't know. I guess,
like everything else, it depends on the situation and the personalities of the horses. And I do
like the idea much better than a box stall or small dry lot.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Oh, I totally agree. I've never liked the idea of keeping horses stalled, I'm a firm believer in keeping them as close to "natural" as possible. Kirby was a very easy stud to keep - stayed with the herd and didn't fight.
Back to top Go down
https://appaloosas.forumotion.com
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 5:41 am

Bot my studlings were fine in the herd too! Rascal spent the winter with the mares in pasture and Mudpie has been with the babies until about a year old and we figured it would be best to be safe and put him up til we could get him gelded. He never really showed any typical studly behavior. Very Happy I find that Rascal is much harder to deal with if stalled. When turned out to pasture he's just like any other horse! My friends tell me they think stalling a stallion makes them mean. afro I had to use that Icon because I just saw it and cracked up. .. geek That one too..lol
Back to top Go down
Spotted Face

Spotted Face

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 6:20 pm

I never had any trouble with two studs together with the herd - until I decided to geld Chili. After that, he and Chip fought like bitter enemies - not good for Chili, a half Arab only 14.3 and 850 pounds. Chip was 16.0 and 1200 pounds. I finally had to confine Chip in my stud pen until I leased him out and then sold him.

Sometimes stallions and geldings just don't mesh...
Back to top Go down
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Spotted Face wrote:
I never had any trouble with two studs together with the herd - until I decided to geld Chili. After that, he and Chip fought like bitter enemies - not good for Chili, a half Arab only 14.3 and 850 pounds. Chip was 16.0 and 1200 pounds. I finally had to confine Chip in my stud pen until I leased him out and then sold him.

Sometimes stallions and geldings just don't mesh...

The remaining owner of our appies when we bought them told us a tale of a particular stallion that nearly killed one of their geldings when he got out of his paddock and in with two riding geldings. That poor horse had to have a couple of hundred stitches if I recall his story. That is why I was asking about them. We have decided not to do the trade after all and will geld instead. Very Happy It feels good not to have to worry about it. I'm a terrible worrier by nature. I thought that particular trait would ease with age and experience but I swear I think it has only gotten worse! Thanks for the info though. Always good to have at hand.

Back to top Go down
atohr

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 4:16 pm

I think as well as was said , depends on the stallion . Drea Fires Shoshone stays at home in his own paddock . He isn't real mean to the other geldings when we run him with the mares but he would not let them around the mares at all , he would definately run them off . On the flip side my wife rides him with other mares and just recently she rode him with another stallion present on the ride . Very good natured horse but his mares are his and only his therfore we feel his paddock is his and we bring the mares to his place to breed
Back to top Go down
GHS1919

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 pm

The barn I work at keeps two fresian stallions, a shire gelding, and a recently gelded paint in the same pasture. They get along just fine but they have been living together since they were weanlings. This is the first barn I have been to that keeps their stallions this way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep your Stallions?   How do you keep your Stallions? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you keep your Stallions?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Appaloosas :: Show off your Appaloosas! :: Studs-
Jump to: