Appaloosas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appaloosas

A forum for App lovers to discuss our favorite breed - the breed of choice!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ground working with Appytude

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BorderlineAppys

BorderlineAppys

Ground working with Appytude Empty
PostSubject: Ground working with Appytude   Ground working with Appytude I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Want to share my experience with my 2 yr old 80% FPD Appy while longing her. She refused to go into a lope, attemtped several times to turn her butt to me and kick at me, she would run straight through my space, change directions. I tried running her loose in an almost round pen with a whip and I finally realized she was actually fearful of that whip, not to mention she was wearing me out.. Now you would think Appytude and tough are kind of the same thing. To some degree I think so. I changed my approach by reducing the threat of the whip but I also added a chain over her nose through her halter. It was the gaining control of her head that made the biggest difference. The next time she even thought about turning her butt, I was then able to yank her head around because she responded to the chain and after that she never tried kicking again. She is 3 now and I have to maintain the chain while longing or she will still try to run through my space. But I'm happy to report I was able to ride her without any buck and she was very responsive to flexing her head and so far has shown me that she is a great ride!! Definately have to show them who is the boss!!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ground working with Appytude   Ground working with Appytude I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh definitely! They want someone to be the leader and if you aren't then they figure they are! Rolling Eyes Gotta love them though, they'll give you their all once they respect (and like) you. If they don't like you, forget it - might as well give up and get a different horse. Lol.
Back to top Go down
https://appaloosas.forumotion.com
IBCuttin

PostSubject: Re: Ground working with Appytude   Ground working with Appytude I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:45 pm

My son Brennen's yearling Appy colt Freddie started doing something similar, although he hasn't been invading Brennen's space. Often, when Brennen ask Freddie to lope, he'll turn and double barrel.
He never comes close to anybody, but we have figured out that his instructor getting him to bring Freddie down when in the wrong lead have scared him a bit.
Brennen uses a chain on him when lunging and has a lot of control otherwise. Our plan is to finish building our round pen, then free lunge him so that he can get comfortable loping on command again.
Back to top Go down
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: Ground working with Appytude   Ground working with Appytude I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 am

My trainer and friend is working with my 2 year old appy gelding. He has no buck or bad habits but he seems "slow". He's having the most problem with understanding the bit and steering in general and stopping. She had a heck of a time with getting him to understand "forward". I'm not sure of all the details. I'm going to ask her to join and maybe discuss. Perhaps you guys could help with some ideas that will change his "tude"..lol..

Good to see you on here borderline! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
IBCuttin

PostSubject: Re: Ground working with Appytude   Ground working with Appytude I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:10 am

What other ground work has she done with him? Does he trot beside you on a lead with a voice command? How about on a lunge or when ground driving?
Back to top Go down
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: Ground working with Appytude   Ground working with Appytude I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 2:10 pm

IBCuttin wrote:
What other ground work has she done with him? Does he trot beside you on a lead with a voice command? How about on a lunge or when ground driving?

I know she usually teaches lounging and does a lot of ground work before ever getting on, including teaching release from the bit on the ground. This time between both of our hay schedules and work loads we have not been able to get together very much and his training is sort of sporadic too. He also had to have some time off due to sunburn and super soft mouth. He's my rascal and proving to be unique in every way..lol.. He really is a sweet sweet horse and a big goof. I'm not sure if she will join and post or not. She's really busy having moved to a new farm this year and a thousand things to get done, but I hope she will.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ground working with Appytude   Ground working with Appytude I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ground working with Appytude
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Appaloosas :: Riding and Training :: Dealing with "Appytude"-
Jump to: