Appaloosas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appaloosas

A forum for App lovers to discuss our favorite breed - the breed of choice!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux Empty
PostSubject: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Ruby is my other 09 foal, she had a rocky start (vet didn't think she'd make it) but she made it through - mostly thanks to a big dose of Appytude! She had severely contracted tendons and had to be held up to nurse along with bottle feeding, a heart murmur, urine leakage through her umbilicus and monkey mouth. She'll be a year old in June and has come quite a long way!

This was the day she was born, after a vet visit for Oxy and soft splints that were useless.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Pipfoal-vi

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Pipfoal2-vi

Later that same day after a second vet opinion and much more appropriate hard splints.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Rubynursing-vi

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Rubysplinted-vi

The hard splints stayed on for 10 days, she looked so funny trying to walk around but at least she was mobile under her own power!

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Rubywalking-vi

She was getting pretty quick in the splints by the time they were ready to come off.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_RubyIndy-vi

She has a lovely little face.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Rubyportrait-vi

And loved to play in her Moms tail.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_rubywig-vi

At about a month old she was ready to meet Indy (who's only 1 month older than her!)

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_IndyRuby-vi

2 months old and looking much better than she started out.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Ruby2months-vi

By September she was getting around really well.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Cows-vi

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_rubysept-vi

January shows how she's coming along, toes out but otherwise looking good.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_RubyJan-vi

Easter and we learned how to tie, had to show a little Appytude first though.

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux RubyFRB-vi

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux Rubytied-vi

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux LegsEaster-vi
Back to top Go down
https://appaloosas.forumotion.com
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:11 pm

You guys did such a good job! She is a miracle baby and looking great!
Kudos to you guys for going the extra mile and encouraging that appytude
to flourish. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
POABaby

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:18 am

She's coming along so well! You guys did a great job with her and I love the registered name, very cute! You take such fun pictures. Any babies planned for this spring?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Miss Ruby yesterday - all braided and looking so grown up! bounce

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux RubyWalkingMay10-vi

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux RubyIndy2May10-vi
Back to top Go down
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Wow! She's looking awesome!
You would never know she had the problem.
Nice Job Rachel!
Back to top Go down
TLA

TLA

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:17 am

She sure does look good. And I still say that Indy is a MOOSE. lol!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Here is her pissy face! silent

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux Pissyface-vi
Back to top Go down
AppyNoey

AppyNoey

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Just curious, but how is her mouth now? Monkey mouth is so rare...
Back to top Go down
http://www.desertspiritappaloosas.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Amazingly, she has a near perfect bite! The first vet (who made the soft splints) said she would never out grow it Rolling Eyes Our regular vet (who suggested the hard splints) said he thought it was also a side effect along with the tendons of her being so cramped up inside Pip. Neither her sire nor dam had any bite irregularities.

This pic is from May:

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux MouthMay10-vi
Back to top Go down
clippity

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:20 pm

I got email notification that a new post had been made on the thread and as soon as I saw Ruby's pissy face it made me laugh. I love that photo Rachel.. Thanks for sharing it!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:35 pm

This is where her Appytude comes from:

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux H_Pippregnant-vi

Laughing
Back to top Go down
AppyNoey

AppyNoey

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Admin wrote:
Amazingly, she has a near perfect bite! The first vet (who made the soft splints) said she would never out grow it Rolling Eyes Our regular vet (who suggested the hard splints) said he thought it was also a side effect along with the tendons of her being so cramped up inside Pip. Neither her sire nor dam had any bite irregularities.

This pic is from May:

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux MouthMay10-vi

Wow, that is really something. I'm happy for you and her that her mouth straightened up.

I didn't get so lucky.... Crying or Very sad

My 2008 colt started developing a monkey mouth by 5 months old. It has gotten worse as he has aged but seems to have stopped now. He is a cute 2 1/2yr. old gelding now, and will start saddle training next year. I am going to train him in a bitless bridle. Cool His "ailment" doesn't seem to bother him at all. He eats well. I had his teeth floated this spring, the vet said he just had normal hooks like other horses get.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Was he kicked in the mouth at all or did it just develop? I know a lady whose colts bite started out normal but then started growing funny after another horse kicked him in the face, probably fractured his jaw. Her colt also eats fine, no problems and I believe she's going to train him in a bit.
Back to top Go down
AppyNoey

AppyNoey

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 9:47 am

Admin wrote:
Was he kicked in the mouth at all or did it just develop? I know a lady whose colts bite started out normal but then started growing funny after another horse kicked him in the face, probably fractured his jaw. Her colt also eats fine, no problems and I believe she's going to train him in a bit.

No, he was never kicked. It just started developing @ about 5 months old. My vet said it was likely a genetic thing but also could have been related to poor nutrition...I bought the mare when she was early in foal and she was in pretty rough shape when I got her. We spent a couple months pouring the feed into her (she is actually a very easy keeper) and she was in good weight by the time she foaled.

IF a genetic anomaly, the vet told me that 1 horse a hundred years ago could have had this condition and it just happened to pop up in my colt. It was enough for me to geld him though, in that regard, I was HAPPY he was a colt and not a filly. I would never risk passing that condition on... He is otherwise a very nicely built boy, a shuffler, with a great in-your-pocket disposition.
He will make a great trail or endurance prospect and maybe I will keep him around and have someone train him for Mounted Shooting. Smile Or, he is available to the Right Home should it come along.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spot Me A Ruby Sioux   Spot Me A Ruby Sioux I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spot Me A Ruby Sioux
Page 1 of 1