Appaloosas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Appaloosas

A forum for App lovers to discuss our favorite breed - the breed of choice!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Loudest color from solid mares?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Loudest color from solid mares? Empty
PostSubject: Loudest color from solid mares?   Loudest color from solid mares? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 am

I have always heard that the loudest foals usually come from either solid (not NC!) or minimally colored mares. I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been and if anyone had any proof to this theory?
Back to top Go down
https://appaloosas.forumotion.com
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: Loudest color from solid mares?   Loudest color from solid mares? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 7:17 pm

I have heard the very same thing but have not the experience to comment personally. I do know the dam of at least one of my loud leopard mares had nearly 100% loud babies. There were a couple that weren't but for the most part, she was an awesome color producer. I'm speaking of the dam of my mare Siouxie that I think you liked ;o).. It will be nteresting to see what others have experienced.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Loudest color from solid mares?   Loudest color from solid mares? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Oh yes, Siouxie is one of my favorites! I think she's so pretty and reminds me of my Shy. Smile Maybe someday I'll test this theory out; if Ruby turns out to be breeding quality and I have time for babies.....she is varnishing out now but I don't think she'll be particularly loud herself, more like Acoyas color eventually.
Back to top Go down
https://appaloosas.forumotion.com
Clippity Clop

PostSubject: Re: Loudest color from solid mares?   Loudest color from solid mares? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 pm

I have a solid filly too. My orphan Joy. She was a bit of a mess when she was born but I hope she will be breeding quality though I'm not counting on it and have no plans of breeding her. She is still my baby and she's looking so much better. The only thing that gives me pause as to a breeding quality with her are her back legs. She was quite a bit toed out when she was born. We've been doing regular trims and hopefully that will be the nudge she needs to fix that issue. She has already improved so much. She has a beautiful face and I do so love her buckskin coloring! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AppyNoey

AppyNoey

PostSubject: Re: Loudest color from solid mares?   Loudest color from solid mares? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I have heard similar stories and seen the results of solid mares bred specifically to few-spot stallions. The offspring are usually leopards or real flashy blanket patterns.

I'll let ya know next spring as I bred my NC bay mare to my black few-spot Rainy. Very Happy

Sheila Archer has a great website, The Appaloosa Project, with some great color charts and pattern possibilities when crossing certain patterns together...or in this case, non characteristics with certain patterns.
Back to top Go down
http://www.desertspiritappaloosas.com
Spotted Face

Spotted Face

PostSubject: Re: Loudest color from solid mares?   Loudest color from solid mares? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm

I can't offer direct experience as I never bred a sold, but I have heard other people say the same thing...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loudest color from solid mares?   Loudest color from solid mares? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loudest color from solid mares?
Page 1 of 1